Makes 6 parfaits
7 ounces high quality white chocolate, chopped (choose only a white chocolate that is made with cocoa butter)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chopped rhubarb (I cut mine into 1/4-inch chunks)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
To make the pudding:
- Place the chopped chocolate into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the sugar, cornstarch, salt and yolks into a medium sauce pan and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the milk and heat over a medium flame, stirring constantly.
- Bring the milk mixture to a gentle boil, and cook at this temperature for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediate scrape the custard over the chopped white chocolate. Allow to sit for a minute or two, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the pudding is perfectly smooth. Stir in the butter until is is completely incorporated.
- Cover the bowl by pressing plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the warm pudding. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- For the compote, place the rhubarb, 3/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice into a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the rhubarb is perfectly tender, about 10 minutes. Scrape the compote into a clean bowl, cover, and chill.
- To finish the parfaits, place a dollop of pudding into the bottom of a parfait glass (or wine glass, or whatever you have). Follow with a spoonful of rhubarb compote. Spread each layer so that it completely covers the layer beneath it. Next, the pudding. Then the rhubarb. Finish with the pudding. Grate a little nutmeg over the top (or sprinkle with cinnamon) and serve with a long-handled spoon.